With peak season in full swing, retailers are facing long lines of frantic shoppers, websites overloaded with orders, and discounted merchandise selling out in days (or hours). Though these scenes sound like the opening shots of a holiday horror film, retail businesses know them as an unpleasant byproduct of the flash sales and bargain-bonanza days that populate the holidays.
Peak retail periods can leave both brick-and-mortar and virtual stores in a daze if they’re unprepared for the rush. Inadequate preparations can also impact brand perception among retail customers, who have high expectations for their shopping experiences. Fifty-six percent of in-store shoppers rank ease of checkout as a top priority, while 65 percent of online shoppers won’t wait more than three seconds for a website to load.
Retail IT to the Rescue
Whether retailers realize it or not, their IT team is a crucial (and frequently underutilized) asset during these chaotic times. Retail IT divisions can provide a variety of superpower-level services to help deliver a seamless shopping experience. IT can:
- Monitor and reallocate resources to address high service volume
- Perform preventative maintenance to ensure machines are in proper working order
- Quickly pinpoint the root cause of service issues
- Provide store-level visibility of ticket statuses and system upgrades
- Minimize system downtimes and rapidly address outages
- Alleviate stress on field service personnel and support processes
- Ensure proper training of the seasonal service desk workforce
Learn more about how IT can help your retail business prepare for the rush in this nifty infographic, a Numerify exclusive.
Want even more information about the value of analytics for retail IT? Check out our retail webinar about how IT uses analytics to support retail during peak season.
Don’t forget to watch our insightful webinar about the value of analytics for retail IT during high-pressure periods!
[Image courtesy of flickr user Kooroshication]